The Škocjan caves - Lipica - Štanjel - day trip
Travel to the heart of the Karst region and explore the Škocjan UNESCO caves, an underground marvel, and the Lipica Stud Farm with its long tradition of breeding and training the famous Lipizzaner horse.
Explore the rich treasures of the Karst region full of nature, history and tradition. Visit the UNESCO heritage listed Škocjan caves, a majestic underground river canyon, and let it take you to a world of fantasy. A stop in Lokev, a small village with a surprising mixture of history, is a perfect introduction to the region. Continue to the Lipica Stud Farm, a top attraction in Slovenia, the cradle of the renowned Lipizzaner, bred for the Spanish Riding School of Vienna.
Škocjan UNESCO caves
Visit the UNESCO-listed Škocjan caves, a major tourist attraction in Slovenia and perhaps the most beautiful cave in the world. The Škocjan Caves remain the only natural monument in Slovenia and the Classical Karst region on UNESCO’s list of natural and cultural world heritage sites. Thus, they hold a significant position among the world’s natural monuments. The exceptional volume of the underground canyon is what distinguishes the Škocjan Caves from other caves and places and is easily placed among the most famous underground features in the world.
Lipica stud farm
Visit the Lipica stud farm – home of the world renowned Lipizzaner horses, made famous by the Spanish Riding School of Vienna – and see these elegant horses in training for the performances. The Lipica Stud Farm is nowadays one of the most beautiful cultural and historical monuments in Slovenia, its rich history reaching back to the year 1580. It has been boasting the tradition of breeding and selecting pure-breed horses ever since. In the 1960’s, the Lipica Stud Farm established the Classic Riding School which still participates in worldwide equestrian events.
Lipica successfully combines the rich natural and cultural heritage of the unique karst setting with a modern tourism offer.
The village of Štanjel with ideal strategic position, castle with picture exhibition. Karst house and Ferarri Garden is a relaxing stop for groups and individuals. We recommend a visit to "pršut" maker with tasting.
The Karst Plateau is a region of Slovenia that extends from the Vipava valley to the Gulf of Trieste. The limestone allowed the water to enter the underground and thus created typical karst features - caves, chasms, karst springs, intermittent lakes, and karst fields. These features stretch over the borders of the Karst Plateau and can be found in almost half of the area of Slovenia.
The Škocjan caves - Lipica - Štanjel program of the tour
1. Departure from Ljubljana towards Divača on the highway to the protected park Škocjan Cave park, where the local guide takes us into the underground world of the majestic Škocjan caves, which are listed as a Unesco world heritage site.
With the size of their halls and underground streams, Škocjan caves hold a special place among seven thousand of Slovenia’s caves. The structure of Škocjan caves consists of eleven caves, sinks, natural bridges and cuttings.
2. When we reach the surface, the tour continues to Lipica, a place well known for the unique breed of horses, namely Lipizzaners. In Lipica, we’ll take a peak in the breed house, admire the noble stallions and watch them in their elegant performance.
3. We will visit a wine cellar in the vicinity of Štanjel castle.
Our visit includes:
- a tour of the vine cellar with
- tasting of liquer, white wine and cheese and Parmesan
- a restaurant visit including prosciutto, bacon, cheese spread, melon and 1dcl of Teran wine
4. Our road leads from Lipica to the old city of Štanjel, situated at the top of Turn hill. Štanjel is an ancient medieval city with the city walls still intact.
A walk around the small town will be perfect to end the trip, as Štanjel is full of romantic narrow streets, the old castle above and the church of Saint Daniel.
Price: 119 € (the group of 6-8 people)
Price: 149 € (the group of 4-5 people)
If your group count less then 4 persons, please contact us and we will try to combine two passenger groups.
The tour includes:
- Admission to Škocjan Cave park
- Admission to Lipica
- Wine tasting
Read more about the tour.